Listed Buildings

Building

Details

Grade

BARNHAM WINDMILL, YAPTON ROAD

Barnham Windmill II Built in 1790. Tower type. Faced with tarred stucco. Domed cap of copper sheets Sweeps and fantail missing. Lunette windows. Machinery intact. Still used in connection with a bakery, but worked by electricity.

ll

BARNHAM COURT, CHURCH LANE

Unusual mid C17 house in the style of Kew Palace and Broome Park, Kent. Three storeys. Five windows. Red brick. Brick cornice above ground floor. Another heavier one with modillions above first floor. Each window bay on ground and first floors flanked by brick pilasters. Three shaped Dutch gables. Tiled roof. Sash windows with glazing bars. Rusticated brick doorway with triglyph frieze and pediment. C19 additions of lower elevation to south.

l

THE LODGE OF BARNHAM COURT, CHURCH LANE

Early C19. Two storeys. Three windows. Faced with flints with red brick dressings and quoins. Hipped tiled roof. Casement windows.

ll

CURACOA, CHURCH LANE

Early C19 cottage. Two storeys. Two windows. Faced with flints with dressings, quoins and modillion eaves cornice of red brick. Hipped tiled roof. Casement windows.

ll

MANOR COTTAGE, CHURCH LANE

Dated 1784. Two storeys. Three windows. Faced with red brick and grey headers alternately. Stringcourse. Modillion eaves cornice. Casement windows. Doorway with flat hood on brackets.

ll

PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE, LAKE LANE

L-shaped C18 house. Two storeys. Three windows. Main wing red brick and grey headers alternately, north wing flints. Tiled roof. Windows with segmental heads and glazing bars intact. Modern wooden porch.

ll

IVY COTTAGE, YAPTON ROAD

Early C19. Two storeys. Two windows. Faced with flint cobbles with brick dressings, quoins and modillion eaves cornice, all now painted. Tiled roof. Casement windows.

ll

THE STREET COTTAGE, CHURCH LANE

Early-mid C19 front to an older building. Two storeys. Six windows. Red brick. Modillion eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Casement windows. Modern gabled porch. South wall red brick and flints with wide chimney breast of ditto.

ll

LUCKHAM COTTAGE, YAPTON ROAD

C18. Two storeys. Two windows. Faced with knapped flints with red brick dressings and quoins. Thatched roof with pentice to south. Casement windows.

ll

THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Chancel, nave with weather-boarded bell-turret at west end and south porch. The walls of the nave are Norman with later windows Chancel C13. Flint and brick buttresses on south front. Little restored medieval church.

l

THIMBLES, BARNHAM ROAD

C18. Two storeys. Two windows. Faced with flint cobbles with brick dressings and quoins, all now painted. Thatched roof. Casement windows.

ll

THE THATCHED COTTAGE, BARNHAM ROAD

Dated 1623. Two storeys. Three windows. Probably a timber-framed building, now faced with flints with red brick dressings and quoins. Hipped thatched roof. Modern casement windows.

ll

EASTERGATE HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

Late C18 or early C19. Two storeys. Three windows. Faced with flints with red brick dressings and quoins. Tiled roof. Two curved bay windows on both floors which have been altered but retain their glazing bars. Recessed section to east of two window-bays with half-hipped gable.

ll

EASTERGATE MEMORIAL

War memorial. Circa 1920. Sculptor Morris Harding RBS SO. Catafalque type structure built of solid stone blocks, six courses in height with the top course shaped to represent a mound on which a full sized lion sits. Below the lion's paws is a carved wreath surrounding a FOR VALOUR inscription carved in Art Nouveau style. Below this on the front face of the cenotaph is an eleven line inscription in bold and well spaced capitals defining the purpose of the memorial. Names carved round the base. A remarkably realistic effect at the rear is the handling of the lion's tail. The whole is a dignified piece of symbolism, somewhat in the manner of Lutyens, highly original in concept and imaginatively sited. Additions have been made for the Second World War.

ll

THE OLD HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

C18. Two storeys. Two windows. Faced with squared knapped flints with red brick dressings and quoins. Hipped thatched roof. Casement windows.

ll

THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH LANE

Chancel, nave with shingled bell-turret at west end and north vestry. Largely Norman, much restored with later windows. Vestry C19.

ll*

THE WILKES HEAD INN, CHURCH LANE

1763 circa. Two storeys and attic. Three windows. Two hipped dormers. Red brick. Stringcourse. Tiled roof. Casement windows. Doorway with flat hood on brackets and door of six fielded panels.

ll

MANOR FARMHOUSE, CHURCH LANE

C16 timber-framed building ofhalf H-planwith infilling of red brick, plaster and flints. Tiled roof. Casement windows. Two storeys. Three windows. Modern portion added to west end of south wing.

ll

THE WHITE HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

C18. Two storeys. Three windows. Faced with rough plaster. Modillion eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Doorway with Doric pilasters and pediment. West wall faced with flints.

ll

GRANARY/OUTBUILDING AT MANOR FARM TO THE NORTH WEST OF THE FARMHOUSE, CHURCH LANE

SU 90 NW EASTERGATE CHURCH LANE 7/418A 5.6.58 Granary/Outbuilding at Manor Farm to the north west of the Farmhouse (formerly listed as Outhouse with Manor Farmhouse) II C17 timber-framed building with red brick infilling standing on staddle-stones. Half-hipped tiled roof.

ll

MALTHOUSE COTTAGES, 1-3, CHURCH LANE

One building. C17. Two storeys. Four windows. Faced with knapped flints with red brick dressings, quoins and stringcourse. Tiled roof. Casement windows. Two blocked smaller original windows. Large buttress at south end.

ll

SHELLEY HOUSE AND THE ELM TREE STORES, CHURCH LANE

One building. L-shaped C18 building. Two storeys. Three windows. Painted brick. Stringcourse. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. The shop premises are the north west wing with a modern curved shop front in old style.

ll

FLINT HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

L-shaped building. South wing C17. North east wing C18. Two storeys. Four windows facing west, three windows facing south. Faced with squared knapped flints with red brick dressings and quoins. Tiled roof. Gable to west end of south wing. Casement windows. Doorway with flat hood on brackets.

ll

BARN AND CART SHED AT MANOR FARM TO THE SOUTH WEST OF THE FARMHOUSE, CHURCH LANE

Barn and Cart-shed at Manor Farm to the south west of the Farmhouse II One building. Possibly C17. The east wall is of red brick with a diaper pattern of grey headers. The remainder of the exterior is faced with flints and appears later. Stone steps up to the entrance on the north side. The west half of the building forms the cart-shed with the lower portion open and weather-boarded above. Corrugated iron roof to the whole.

ll